The Stone Gate are the only preserved part of the defense fort of the Upper Town. It is assumed that the Stone Gate were built in 1266. On May 31, 1731, there was a great devastating fire on the Upper Town, and undamaged Virgin Mary painting from the 16th century was found in the ashes: “Our Lady of the Stone Gate”.
Although the frame was burned, the painting was completely undamaged, so they built a chapel in the recess of the passage. Today, this place is considered the largest sanctuary in Zagreb. On May 31, 1991, Archbishop of Zagreb, Franjo Kuharic, proclaimed Mother of God from the Stone Gate as the patroness of the city of Zagreb, and on that feast the Day of the City of Zagreb is also celebrated.